Monday 7 December 2009

Bangalore Walk-A-Thon 2009 - The Green Way- by Samarthanam Trust for Disabled


Bangalore Walk-A-Thon 2009 - The Green Way- by Samarthanam Trust for Disabled

Samarthanam Trust for the Disabled has been working since 1997 to empower the visually impaired, disabled and underprivileged people in India. The Trust is working to support them to keep in pace with the rest of the society by providing quality education, accommodation, nutritious food, vocational training, placement based rehabilitation and achieve personal independence.

There where thousands of people participating. I was also part of it last Saturday December 05, 2009, to 05:00PM starting from Sree Kanteerava Stadium , Bangalore. There were another 18 from my company (Logica). Syntillations a club of employees, which is supported by the Corporate, sponsored 30 employees of Logica to participate in this event. . It was great while walking and helping them walk. At the same time to talk to them and understand them. One of them while walking, holding my hand, mentioned about a band in her wrist as a friend ship band tied by one of her friends. Keeping this in mind While talking to another blind girl, Maya, I asked her about her best friend. She gave me a name, with the previous experience, I then asked her, why she do not have a friendship band from her friend. With out hesitating she said, I have it she has tied it, in my heart. I was taken back, but pretended that I did not get her message. I asked her again. So how did she do it. She pulled your heart out and tied it with a ribbon. To this she said, she has tied it in my heart with love. I was buried. I really felt happy about her and with her answers.

There were some dance shows by the blind and partially blind children. While watching it sitting in the pavilion of the ground, I asked one of my colleague, if the one dancing is blind or not. To this one of the blind girls sitting next to me said, Her name is Ganga. She is completely blind. But I could not believe my eyes, She was dancing with perfection. The next event was a group dance. Once this started the same blind girl who told me about the dancing girl called me; Joe uncle, I was surprised. How do you know my name, I asked? To this she said. Don’t you remember you introduced yourself to me before we started the walkathon.
I was ashamed to ask her, her name once again. She could remember me by my voice, and even though with eyes I could not remember her. While these things were going in my mind, she continued. Do you see the tall girl in the group dance? I said, “Yes”. She continued. She should be doing mistakes in dance right? She is completely blind, and others are partially blind.
I was proud of myself participating in the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment